WOIMA aligning with UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)
Goal 8: Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all
Roughly half the world’s population still lives on the equivalent of about US$2 a day. And in too many places, having a job doesn’t guarantee the ability to escape from poverty. This slow and uneven progress requires us to rethink and retool our economic and social policies aimed at eradicating poverty.
A continued lack of decent work opportunities, insufficient investments and under-consumption lead to an erosion of the basic social contract underlying democratic societies: that all must share in progress. The creation of quality jobs will remain a major challenge for almost all economies well beyond 2015.
Sustainable economic growth will require societies to create the conditions that allow people to have quality jobs that stimulate the economy while not harming the environment. Job opportunities and decent working conditions are also required for the whole working age population.
- Global unemployment increased from 170 million in 2007 to nearly 202 million in 2012, of which about 75 million are young women and men
- Nearly 2.2 billion people live below the US$2 poverty line and that poverty eradication is only possible through stable and well-paid jobs
- 470 million jobs are needed globally for new entrants to the labour market between 2016 and 2030.
WOIMA is committed to helping the developing countries to promote sustainable economic growth and employment. The tool is our modular wasteWOIMA® waste-to-energy power plant that will
- incinerate cleanly the waste of 100,000 – 500,000 people
- generate affordable energy for 50,000 – 100,000 people
- employ 100 – 200 people
- generate hundreds of jobs and training opportunities up- and downstream
- save 100,000 tons of CO2 equivalent emissions per year
- be up and running within 12 months
UN has set the following targets by 2030, supported by WOIMA and our modular wasteWOIMA® waste-to-energy power plant
- Sustain per capita economic growth in accordance with national circumstances and, in particular, at least 7% gross domestic product growth per annum in the least developed countries
- Achieve higher levels of economic productivity through diversification, technological upgrading and innovation
- Promote development-oriented policies that support productive activities, decent job creation, entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation
- Improve progressively global resource efficiency in consumption and production and endeavour to decouple economic growth from environmental degradation
- Achieve full and productive employment and decent work for all women and men
- Substantially reduce the proportion of youth not in employment, education or training
- Take immediate and effective measures to eradicate forced labour, end modern slavery and human trafficking
- Protect labour rights and promote safe and secure working environments for all workers
- Devise and implement policies to promote sustainable tourism that creates jobs and promotes local culture and products
- Strengthen the capacity of domestic financial institutions to encourage and expand access to banking, insurance and financial services for all
- Develop and operationalize a global strategy for youth employment.
Read more about the UN SDGs at
Contact WOIMA to learn more on how we can change the world together.
WOIMA Social Media accounts